Build a simple high voltage
This is part of the project dashboard in DIY projects. Check out here to see all of them.
This is a very interesting project where you can make huge sparks flying across (not that huge though 🙂 ). But anyhow, you can have fun with cool plasma discharging through the air.
*Disclaimer : This deals with very high voltage. Do not touch bare wires. Please take proper care of yourself before trying – rubber shoes, gloves etc. You are solely responsible for any problems that you might cause to yourself*
Let’s get started!
What you need
You are going to need the following
- A flyback transformer. This is the one black ‘thingy’ you get in old CRT televisions (see pic below). you can get one from any old TV garage or shop.
- A CFL (Any watt will work. Higher the watt, better the sparks).
- 2 strong copper wires about 10 cm long to see the cool sparks.
What to do
- First slowly open the CFL base without damaging it. You can carefully saw through it.
- You can see 2 or four wires connecting the lamp to the circuit board. Cut them off.
- Now wire the flyback transformer as per the below diagram.
- Then fix the two copper wires in a V shape on a plastic or fibre plank.
Power up the circuit, and Viola!! you got crazy sparks. You might need to properly align the V-shaped wires to see the best effect. Best part, if you properly align them, the sparks will climb the V !! cool right? Enjoy!
If you are done with this one you can check out the following
Feel free to ask any queries in the comment section below.